Thursday 19 April 2012

Time out in the Shed: a cup of Tea with Graham Wiffen, our Artist of the Week

Graham Wiffen, our Artist of the Week joined us for a virtual cup of tea, and told us a bit more about his photographic life - enjoy!
Kimmeridge Bay,
Graham Wiffen
What first drew you to photography?
I have always been very visually driven and was always keen to 'capture' the moment. I remember having fun in a friends darkroom during my early years and into my teens, but it wasn't really until the digital age came about that I got into it seriously.

What is your favourite photographic memory, and why?
A few years ago I spent a season operating a charter yacht in the Caribbean. I had setup the company from scratch and needed some marketing materials, so I got a digital SLR and started taking some pictures of the boat in some great locations. One of these was showing the boat, isolated, in what I still consider to the most beautiful spot in the world, the Tobago Cays in St. Vincent & the Grenadines. Absolutely stunning location.

Morning Mists over Colmers Hill
Graham Wiffen

Who is your favourite photographer, and why?
I don't really have one, but many. I love landscapes so people like Charlie Waite, Joe Cornish, Adam Burton are all great influencers and provide inspiration. Also, Ross Hoddinott & Mark Bauer, who I've been out with a few times are both very inspirational to me. They've helped in times when I've not been on my game and are great fun to go out shooting with. They run Dawn2Dusk and I'd highly recommend them.

What would be your ideal camera, and where would you take it?
I would love to get hold of the new Nikon D800 and travel with it. I love to travel anyway, but would spend my time visiting the world's most stunning spots, capturing them and then using the images to inspire others.

Tell us what you enjoy most about your own work, and what has inspired you recently.
I am a member of Bridport Camera Club and at the end of each year, the Chairman sets a challenge. This year it's 'Churches in the Landscape, b/w or infrared'. Having never used Infrared before I thought I have a go. It's been very interesting learning a new type of photography and post processing workflow, but it's been great fun.

Porth Nanven
Graham Wiffen
Do you have bursts of creativity - and when/where are you most creative?
When I'm relaxed. I get inspired to go somewhere or to take something particular. Keeping the mind free of the day to day chatter is key.

What are the most important elements of a successful photo?
The usual I guess, composition, framing, lead-in lines etc. but I also like to try different things. Simplicity works well some times, but not always. Light is so important, especially in landscapes, but also movement if it is a seascape. I love using filters to slow things down.

Tell us about your favourite photograph, either your own or someone else's, and please send us a copy if you have one!
It would be an early one I took at very low tide of the cliffs at Burton Bradstock. Its one of my favourite places, part of the iconic Jurassic Coast. At low tide the ledges and rocks become exposed and I used a 10-stop to turn the lapping waves into mist. It hangs on my wall at home.

Many thanks Graham!

You can see more of Graham's work on his Shed Profile, where all his images are for sale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment