Thursday 17 May 2012

Time out in the Shed: a cup of Tea with Helen Clark, our Artist of the Week

We had a virtual cup of tea with Helen Clark, our Artist of the Week, to find out a bit more about her and her work. Enjoy!

1. What first drew you to photography?
I've always been drawn to nature and landscapes, and I think photography really was a result of this. I travelled and always had an SLR with me for a few years, then once I had children, it all went on the back burner. However as the children have become independent, and now left home, I have re discovered photography, and digital makes it so much easier...apart from all the technology involved, which I am getting my head around gradually.

Evening Glow at Whaling Cove
Helen Clark

2. What is your favourite photographic memory, and why?
A favourite photographic memory....not sure as there are many. Will come back to that one!

3. Who is your favourite photographer, and why?
Favourite photographer. Well, as I live in Western Australia, (I signed up for the Shed after visiting the exhibition in Lyme Regis in September last year) some of my favourite WA photographers include Christian Fletcher from the Margaret River area, Steve Fraser from Perth and the iconic Ken Duncan. David Noton, Joe Cornish and Paul Gallagher are some of my favourites from the UK.

Sand, Seaweed and Sun
Helen Clark
4. What would be your ideal camera, and where would you take it?
Ideal camera...well as technology is not my forté thats difficult to answer. However I love my canon 600D. I just wish that DSLR's and the lenses could be minature, so carrying them around is easier.

5. Tell us what you enjoy most about your own work, and what has inspired you recently.
I am inspired by light...a certain quality which is hard to put into words. Here on the south coast of WA, the autumns are the best time of year for photography as the wind drops, the evenings calm with golden light. A couple of weeks ago, we had a series of fantastic evenings, which were magical for being out with a camera....that's probably when I am at my most creative. If I can capture light, movement and perspective in a shot that draws me into it, then I am happy with it.

Smooth Cascades
Helen Clark
6. Do you have bursts of creativity - and when/where are you most creative?
Think I just answered that!

7. What are the most important elements of a successful photo?
All good tutorials and texts will teach the "important" elements of a successful photo. However it is such a subjective thing. For me, I want to feel drawn into and through a photo, or it tells me a story, or it evokes a real emotive response. Any photo that causes an emotional response and  captures me, in my eyes has an element of success.

8. Tell us about your favourite photograph, either your own or someone else's, and please send us a copy if you have one!
A favourite photo...there are so many. so, i might include one of mine that I snapped by pure luck, being in the right place at the right time....my cat nose to nose with a mouse! .....just don't ask what happened to the mouse. 



- Thanks very much Helen - and what incredible timing to get that last photo!

To see more of Helen's work, please visit her Shed Profile, and as ever feel free to comment/respond to/feedback on Helen's work by commenting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment