Saturday 10 December 2011

Guest Blog by Michelle Frederick, Artist of the Week

When I first heard about Chelsea starting up the Shed I knew that I wanted to be a part of it. The idea of being part of an artistic community was very appealing to me. I intern at the Shed Shop in Barcelona with Chelsea and I see how hard she works on promoting artists, planning exhibitions, and thinking of ways to improve the Shed.

I have been taking photographs for the past ten years. To be able to capture a moment in time has always been interesting to me. When I started I didn't have a clear focus or theme. As I continued I realized that I mainly enjoy photographing buildings or spaces, without people, and showing our relationship to the space.  My experience of being a volunteer on the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Katrina awoke a curiosity in me of what happens to a home or building when the people are gone? The traces that we leave behind, the way a building ages over time and what happens when people no longer inhabit it and nature creeps in, are all themes that I focus on in my work.

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment