Wednesday 20 June 2012

Time Out in the Shed: a cup of Tea with Matt Sowter, our Artist of the Week

We caught up with Artist of the Week Matt Sowter, to find out a bit more about what lights his fire as a photographer. Enjoy!    


Fuzzy Lanterns
Matt Sowter


1. What first drew you to photography?      
My father gave me an old "Topcon" SLR which I took to France on a school trip 
2. What is your favourite photographic memory, and why? 
This was when I visited a small village in Laos, within five minutes I took my two favourite pictures, one of two monks walking down the street lined with market traders and a karst limestone cliff in the foreground, the other of a local guy burning the scales of a monitor lizard over a wood fire.
3. Who is your favourite photographer, and why? 
I'm not sure who is my favourite but I do love black and white street photography that captures people/unusual settings or subjects unposed and natural.
Bagus
Matt Sowter
4. What would be your ideal camera, and where would you take it? 
I have heard good things about the new fuji x pro 1, small but well made,ideal for travel(however its 2k so will have to wait few years!),I currently use a Lumix gf1 I have found adapting to using a single fixed focal length 20mm lens for all my pictures has made me think more carefully about composition.
5. Tell us what you enjoy most about your own work, and what has inspired you recently.
I enjoy taking photos of unusual subjects, markets are are particular favourite, finding a local fish market with crazy tropical fish is my heaven, although, sometimes challenging, with lack of natural light. My recent trip to the wonderful market in Barcelona was amazing, but the fluorescent lighting seemed to confuse my camera and results were disappointing.
Tomatoes
Matt Sowter
6. Do you have bursts of creativity - and when/where are you most creative?
Asia in general really, it has everything!!
7. What are the most important elements of a successful photo?
For me its taking a unique photo that really captures the imagination and can take you to that place, for the viewer to wonder what that place would have ben like if they were there, not just the sight but the smells, sounds and tastes as well. (which is why stinky markets  are my favourite place to be).
8. Tell us about your favourite photograph, either your own or someone else's, and please send us a copy if you have one!
My fav recent photo is the tuna head being sliced open, titled "Not tonight love" ha ha...but my all time fav has to be the monitor lizard which I have on old 35mm negative, I will try and get it scanned and send it to The Shed!
Matt's favourite Pic!Not Tonight Love, I have a Splitting Headache
Matt Sowter
You can see more of Matt's work on his Shed Profile, where all his images are for sale! 

No comments:

Post a Comment